WHAT IS KINESIOLOGY TAPE?
Kinesiology Tape is a stretchy, sticky, cotton tape that’s applied to the skin to give light support and promote movement. This may help to ease pain and reduce swelling.
The real beauty of K TAPE is its ability to gently encourage your body to behave naturally. Once applied, it can last up-to 5 days to provide dynamic support and a gentle reminder.
Everyone and every body is different. That’s why we offer our Kinesiology Tape in three different sizes to suit your needs.
- MOST POPULAR | Standard 5cm x 5m - 10-15 applications per roll. Great for individuals / light users.
- FOR LARGE ATHLETES | Extra Wide 10cm x 5m - 10-15 applications per roll. Ideal for big muscle groups.
- THE PROS CHOICE | Extra Long 5cm x 22m - 20-30 applications per roll. Save 20% per meter!
WHY WEAR K TAPE?
01 HELP RECOVERY
From ankle sprains to muscle strains, Kinesiology Tape can help. Get your rehab right and it can lend a helping hand. Easing pain and increasing blood flow.
02 LIGHT SUPPORT
When you don't want to excessively restrict movement but need light support and a gentle reminder, K TAPE is a flexible and comfortable choice.
03 FLEXIBLE PROTECTION
Kinesiology Tape can be used to provide an extra barrier of protection. It can remind your body to keep position and also act as a protective second skin when needed.
HOW TO K TAPE
Applying K TAPE isn't complicated but it does take practice. Always seek professional advice first. Then tape up, test it and reapply if needed.
HOW DOES K TAPE WORK?
In truth, no one conclusively knows how kinesiology tape works. However, we have our own theories based on the current research and anecdotal evidence from using K TAPE for over a decade.
- REDUCES PRESSURE ON PAIN RECEPTORS The recoil of K TAPE creates a lifting motion on the skin. This creates space between the top layer of the skin and underlying tissues. Reducing pressure on pain receptors and encouraging lymphatic flow.
- INCREASE LYMPHATIC DRAINAGE The lymphatic system is responsible for removing waste substances, excess fluids and cellular debris from the blood stream. The lifting action of K TAPE REDUCES COMPRESSION on the affected area. This allows fluids to move into the lymphatic vessels more easily.
- REDUCE PAIN THROUGH SENSORY BOMBARDMENT K TAPE can be used to target the neuromuscular system, providing muscles and areas of pain with a SENSORY BOMBARDMENT that can help to reduce the feeling of PAIN. In other words, kinesiology tape works by tricking the brain into forgetting about the area of pain, as it suddenly has to focus on lots of different sensory inputs.
- IMPROVE MOVEMENTS THROUGH PROPRIOCEPTION There is also something to be said for the PROPRIOCEPTIVE element of kinesiology taping. In clinical practice it has been shown that providing an area with a new sensory input (kinesiology taping) can lead to enhanced motor control, meaning movements can be performed more accurately.
WHEN SHOULD I USE K TAPE?
We will be straight with you, kinesiology tape isn’t a quick fix for injuries or a miracle cure! We always recommend that consult a medical practitioner before using K TAPE. Then once applied correctly, it can help facilitate your full rehab programme.
K TAPE can be used to reduce pain from injured muscles as you rehab, reduce Inflammation, provide dynamic support for ligaments and tendons, improve proprioception and provide postural correction.
CAN K TAPE BE RE-USED?
Unfortunately kinesiology tape is designed for single use only.
SHOULD I SHAVE BEFORE APPLYING K TAPE?
Shaving before applying is not necessary, however it unquestionably helps with adhesion and we would certainly recommend it if you are wearing K TAPE for more intensive exercise.
If you prefer, we recommend that you trim the hair down rather than a clean shave.
WHAT WILL HAPPEN IF I APPLY KINESIOLOGY TAPE INCORRECTLY?
If you don’t apply to the correct area then the tape will have little or no affect, so you won’t do any harm to yourself.
However, the majority of ‘reactions’ to kinesiology tape are actually skin irritations caused by an over-stretching of the tape, or excessive friction on the skin due to a poor application. So, be careful not to put too much stretch on the tape and ALWAYS apply a test strip if using our K TAPE for the first time.
CAN I APPLY KINESIOLOGY TAPE MYSELF?
We would always recommend you seek the advice of a medical professional before applying K TAPE in order to get a full injury diagnosis. Once checked out, you can easily self-apply.
There are areas of the body which may require some help or an extra pair of hands, such as postural correction, lower back and shoulder.
We provide clear instructions for most K Taping applications, so anyone can do it.
I'M ALLERGIC TO ELASTOPLAST, WILL I GET A REACTION TO KINESIOLOGY TAPE?
Our K TAPE glues don’t contain any colophony or rosin, which are the normal irritants for anyone with an Elastoplast allergy.
However, we would recommend that anyone with an Elastoplast allergy trials a small test patch before using kinesiology tape as the skin sensitivity may disagree with any kind of adhesive against it.