Winning tapes for sport | Fixation Tape | Sporttape Ireland
WHAT IS FIXATION TAPE?
Sometimes known as ‘Dressing Retention’ or Surgical Adhesive Tape’, Fixation Tape is a non-woven, soft polyester tape with a hypoallergenic medical grade polyacrylate adhesive. In plain English, it’s a lightweight, breathable and malleable dressing tape with a skin friendly glue.
Originally created for the wound care market. FIXATION TAPE has been adopted by sports therapists to act as a “base layer” when taping more challenging areas with ZINC OXIDE TAPES, such as the knee or shoulder.
FIXATION TAPE SIZES
Our FIXATION TAPE comes in 2 sizes. 5CM X 10M and 10CM X 10M this allows for use across all athletes regardless of size.
- STANDARD 5CM X 10M Elbow, Wrist and Knee
- WIDE 10CM X 10M Shoulders, Legs and Back
- GREAT VALUE - Let's cut to the chase. Our FIXATION TAPE is cheaper than the market leader.
- BREATHABLE - Permeable to moisture it allows you skin to breath and provides a great surface for taping.
- CONFORMING - 0% unilateral stretch but 10% transversal stretch so that it can contour your body.
- HYPOALLERGENIC - Our acrylic adhesive is kind to the skin, reducing the risk of irritation and residue.
- TWO WIDTHS - Available in 5CM and 10CM width so that you avoid overlapping and tape larger areas.
- EASY CUT - Grid lines and backing paper make it easy to cut exact lengths prior to application.
BENEFITS - WHY WEAR FIXATION TAPE?
01 LONG LASTING APPLICATIONS
FIXATION TAPE acts as a protective barrier between your skin and the aggressive glue used on strapping tapes. It's very porous, so allows your skin to breathe and your applications to be less affected by sweat.
02 EASIER TAPE REMOVAL
Our acrylic adhesive is much kinder to the skin than Zinc Oxide glues. This makes FIXATION TAPE perfect for sensitive areas of the body and doesn't leave any residue when removed.
03 DRESSING RETENTION
Use FIXATION TAPE to hold dressings, gauze, and padding in place. It can be worn on any area of the body as a stand-alone tape. Sticky enough to hold your padding, and breathable enough not to peel off.
HOW DOES FIXATION TAPE WORK?
It works by providing a protective and breathable membrane. It can be used to help a tricky application last, secure a dressing or limit skin irritation. Here's how:
MARKET-LEADER ALTERNATIVE - Replace BSN or Mefix with our FIXATION TAPE to hold dressings, gauze, and padding in place. It can be used on any area of the body as a stand-alone tape. Sticky enough to hold your padding in place, and breathable enough not to peel off.
PRE-TAPING SHOULDER - We would always recommend using FIXATION TAPE when taping the shoulder. Notoriously sweaty, it can be hard to tape. Using FIXATION TAPE around the shoulder helps ZINC OXIDE TAPE stick more effectively and prevents tape from slipping.
PRE TAPING KNEE - Taping around the knee can be a tough ask if your player still needs to run. Our Fixing Tape is more flexible than Zinc Oxide tape, so by using it first, your application is less affected by knee flexion.
TRUSTED BY THE BEST - 100% Performance Guarantee
WHAT IS FIXATION TAPE USED FOR? FIXATION TAPE is most commonly used for 2 purposes:
- Securing bandages, dressings and pads to the skin.
- Providing a base layer to improve the adhesion of ZINC OXIDE TAPE applications.
Taping around the knee can be a tough ask if your player still needs to run. Our Fixing Tape is more flexible than Zinc Oxide tape, so by using it first, your application is less affected by knee flexion.
WHEN SHOULD I USE FIXATION TAPE? You should use FIXATION TAPE anytime you are applying ZINC OXIDE TAPE to an area where there is a lot of joint movement. FIXATION TAPE acts as a protective barrier between your skin and the aggressive glue used on strapping tapes. It’s very porous, so allows your skin to breathe and your applications to be less affected by sweat.
HOW LONG DOES FIXATION TAPE LAST? FIXATION TAPE is designed to last the duration of a strapping application – whether that’s an 80-minute game, or a few hours hiking. It will most likely be removed along with any ZINC OXIDE TAPE that is stuck over the top.
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN UNDERWRAP & FIXATION TAPE? Although both tapes are designed protect the skin prior to taping, which one you choose will depend on the area that you’re taping, whether any glue is allowed to touch the skin and whether you have time to cut strips of FIXATION TAPE.
- UNDERWRAP is primarily used to protect your skin from the potential irritation of wearing adhesive tapes (i.e. Zinc Oxide & EAB). Acting as a thin barrier, UNDERWRAP is applied before overlaying with strapping tape. It’s also highly effective against tape chafing and alternatively, can be used to secure cold packs and bandages in place during use. It’s made from a lightweight foam that is porous, water-repellent and really easy to use.
- FIXATION TAPE is rigid and can’t be ripped by hand, so you’ll need a pair of scissors to cut your strips. Because it’s adhesive there’s no need to wrap an entire joint and you can use smaller strips as anchors to help Zinc Oxide tape stay in place more effectively.
IS FIXATION TAPE WATERPOOF? FIXATION TAPE is not waterproof. However it is highly porous, meaning that it will survive a heavy down pour during a match but they can not be used for water sports or any time where the tape will be submerged in water.
WHAT WILL HAPPEN IF I APPLY FIXATION TAPE INCORRECTLY? The worst that can happen if that you create an uncomfortable application. You are unlikely to causes and circulatory issues when only applying FIXATION TAPE.